Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hopdoddy Burger Bar

http://www.facebook.com/hopdoddy         Austin, TX
http://www.hopdoddy.com

We thought we would hit a steakhouse for dinner in Austin two years ago.  When we realized the prices for said "steak and taters", I suggested we find a good burger joint, instead.  I don't remember what led us to Hopdoddy, but what a find!!!

We did not understand why they would not let us in.  Bouncers for a restaurant?  Nope.  The line to place orders ended just inside the door.  We learned that we were lucky!  Other times the line wraps around the outside of the building! The order counter is in the back of the restaurant.  The WAY back!  We waited in line along the busy and friendly bar counter, only to be zig-zagged to yet another line that continued to the rear of the restaurant!  Clearly Hopdoddy is something special.

Remember, too: this is Austin.  This is a foodie town.  These people have many options for amazing food.  For Austin to wait in line for delicious food is saying something!

Now I will go weird.  Austin? Texas?  BEEF, right?!  The beef of their burgers is fantastic, but in the 24 months between my first and second visit, do you know what I remember?  The big jelly-roll pans they serve their food on?  The great fries?  The kooky topping combinations?  The great service? Yes, there are those to remember... But what stands out are the amazing hamburger BUNS!  Made on-site, they are at once soft and toothy.  The yeasty perfume still fragrances my memories!  Never have I had such a delicious bun.

Now, a comedic moment.  We didn't speak for probably the first 15 minutes of our dinner once the food arrived at our table!  We were entranced.  Transported.  Don't get me wrong.... We like our food.  We consider ourselves Foodies.  More gourmand than gourmet, but we appreciate food.  We were so taken by the food we forgot to speak!  That has never happened before or since!

What we ate for both our first and second visits?  I don't remember.  Seriously.  Bad form, I know!  I take that back.  I had a goat cheese salad to start this past visit, and it was beautiful! Oh my.  Nuf said. (Sorry, Roy.  This was a good goat!)

Hopdoddy is a permanent fixture on the SpatulaCity.net Austin Restaurant List (yes, we do have a list) for all future visits.  We heard they have other locations: Dallas and Scottsdale, too!  Lucky spuds. Sigh.

Nom-nom-nom-nom-nom!
(Five enthusiastic Noms out of five!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment